Pages

QUOTE OF THE WEEK

If we practice gratitude and keep a thankful heart, we’ll automatically extend inspiration wherever we go.

Monday, May 24, 2010

Amazing Women



I came home from a Woman’s Retreat this weekend tired but refreshed and inspired.

This retreat was up in the mountains of Arizona, 7000 feet. Driving up to the campus my ears kept popping and my sinus was confused and sometimes angry. I was constantly air chewing and yawning to keep the pressure in my ears from blowing! The air was crisp and clean, the sun glistened on the lakes, the trees smelled of pine. If I closed my eyes and forgot where I was, I would believe I was in Wisconsin. At night the stars appeared brilliantly in the sky, I was awestruck. Being away from the bright skyline of Las Vegas was welcoming.

I met many inspiring women. Women who have gone through trials and tribulations that you wouldn’t wish on anyone yet have come out stronger and more beautiful than they ever would have imagined. This wasn’t a retreat to pour your heart out and hope that someone was there to pick up the pieces. This was more a retreat to introduce yourself, to connect, to talk about what matters most to you and to share, if you were willing, your fears, your dreams, your aspirations.

The most awe inspiring of the weekend was the simple fact that these women have such a strong faith in God. A faith that is unwavering, a faith that is constant, neverending. Let me give you a few lines of a song that they sung, to give you a better idea of the level of their faith;

Nothing can separate, even if I ran away
Your love never fails
I know I still make mistakes but
You have new mercies for me every day
Your love never fails
You stay the same through the ages
Your love never changes
There may be pain in the night
But joy comes in the morning
And when the oceans rage, I don’t have to be afraid
Because I know that you love me
And your love never fails
‘Cause you make all things work together for my good

I have to be honest, I do not have a faith like this. Don’t get me wrong, I believe in God but I do not live at the level that these women do. They’re on a first name basis with God, they have daily conversations with God. They have devoured the Bible at Bible study classes. They put their hopes, their fears, their dreams in his hands and … let go.

I, on the other hand, am a continually reforming control freak. I, most times, feel that if I only did this…or if I would have done that…or, I can and will do this and it will fix that. It is exhausting! And, when things are going well, I can pat myself on the back and say “great job!” but with that thought process, when things are not going well I can beat myself up knowing that I must have done something wrong and only I can and will fix it NOW. What an ego! Seriously!!

I truly believe as women, mothers, sisters, daughters, wives, business professionals, we think we should have the answers for every situation that arises. Is the title we carry how we define ourselves? Why is this? Is this the way we were raised? I don’t have all the answers. All I know is that I honor and respect these marvelous women I spent a weekend with. I honor and respect them for who they are and the faith that they live by during good times and bad. I honor and respect them for the passion that lives inside them and keeps them going day after day after day. And I hope to call them friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment